Glen Decker – “My Life with Slippers”
Next Meeting: Monday, September 13th 2021 at the JCC
It's been a pretty hot summer, and most of us have spent a lot of time watering our orchids - and, oddly enough, also watching the heavy rainstorms as they pound us with downpours of nearly bibilical proportions! Hard to fathom, but summer will eventually come to an end, and with the cooler weather, inevitably comes a new orchid season at the GROS. After what seems like an eternity of Zoom "get-togethers", our Society is finally going to be able to meet in person again. Please note the current JCC health rules with which we all must comply. We are going to offer a live Zoom presentation of the speaker’s talk. Members will receive a link via email.
JCC Current Policies – Updated 8/19/21
- If you are not vaccinated, you must wear a mask at all times. This includes children ages 2-12. Mask does not need to be worn in the pool.
- Mask-wearing is strongly encouraged throughout our facility even if you are vaccinated.
- Our staff are wearing masks.
- If you aren’t feeling well, please stay home.
- We follow Monroe County Department of Health and CDC recommendations.
- If we are informed that a member or a staff has tested positive, we will contact trace within the JCC for exposure, defined by the CDC as 15 cumulative minutes spent within six feet of someone who is COVID-19 positive. We will notify anyone that is identified as having a possible exposure.
- Please note:The GROS will have its meeting in the large Auditorium, with adequate room for good social distancing.
We'll kick off our new schedule with Glen Decker, a long-time exhibitor and vendor at our Spring shows. Formerly the owner of Piping Rock Orchids, Glen has been growing orchids for over 40 years, and holds the degree of Associate in Applied Science in Ornamental Horticulture. He was the previous chair of the American Orchid Society's Publications Committee and a past Director of the Orchid Digest Corporation.
Glen has won numerous AOS awards, including the Butterworth Prize, Nax Trophy, WW Wilson Award and the Carlyle A. Luer Award. He has appeared in Martha Stewart's Better Living Magazine and on a PBS TV special "Orchid Delirium". He rewrote the Slipper section of the Brooklyn Botanic Garden's "The Best Orchids for Indoors" and was the technical editor for the "Orchids for Dummies" book. He also has written many articles on Paphiopedilums and Phragmipediums - which have been published worldwide.
His presentation, "My Life with Slippers," is Glen's journey to see slipper orchids around the world, including Peru, Ecuador, and through Europe, and the things that he has learned about growing them in the process. The lecture will include some history, travel, culture and stories about the people within our obsession.
Prior to the meeting, we will be taking Glen to dinner, 4:55 p.m. on Sept. 13th - at Mamasan’s 1400 Mt Hope Avenue - note their new location. Please contact Carol Butcher at 585-742-3403 if you'd like to join us. (Everyone pays for his or her own dinner - except for Glen, of course.) Glen will be bringing plants to sell - so members may not bring their own plants for sale or trade.
The Show Table will be back live and "in person" after more than a year of what were, in retrospect, pretty impressive online Tables creatively assembled by Carol Butcher. So please don’t forget your flowering plants. We’ll see you there!
Map to the JCC