Dr. Rob Halgren from Littlefrog Farm – “What’s Wrong with My Leaf?”
Next Meeting: Monday, October 4th, 2021 at the JCC
As the season slowly but inevitably begins to turn, we at the GROS will once again be meeting in person - so far, so good, judging by last month's event. Please note the current JCC health rules with which we all must comply. We are going to offer a live Zoom presentation of the speaker’s talk - and we will try to improve the audio quality with the addition of a wireless microphone for the speaker. Members will receive a link via email.
JCC Current Policies – Updated 8/19/21
- If you are not vaccinated, you must wear a mask at all times. This includes children ages 2-12. Mask does not need to be worn in the pool.
- Mask-wearing is strongly encouraged throughout our facility even if you are vaccinated.
- Our staff are wearing masks.
- If you aren’t feeling well, please stay home.
- We follow Monroe County Department of Health and CDC recommendations.
- If we are informed that a member or a staff has tested positive, we will contact trace within the JCC for exposure, defined by the CDC as 15 cumulative minutes spent within six feet of someone who is COVID-19 positive. We will notify anyone that is identified as having a possible exposure.
- Please note:The GROS will have its meeting in the large Auditorium, with adequate room for good social distancing.
Our speaker for October will be Dr. Rob Halgren, who will present"What's Wrong with My Leaf" - a discussion diagnosing some common orchid growing problems. Rob is a long serving accredited AOS judge, and is the proprietor of Littlefrog Farm, a relatively small-scale orchid business he began in 2003. He now grows exclusively in a converted (and heavily insulated) pole barn, using LED lighting. His plans for the future include creating new hybrids and raising smaller orchids from seed: Paphiopedilum, Phragmipedium, Leptotes and similar small species in the cattleya alliance as well as other miniature to small growing orchids.
Dr. Halgren, who has a Ph.D. from Northwestern University in cancer biology, is a former researcher who now teaches biology part time at Lansing Community College, manages & runs the Michigan State Science Olympiad tournament, and is a member of the Holt Public Schools Board of Education.
Prior to the meeting, we will be taking Rob to dinner, plans TBA. Rob will be bringing plants to sell - so members may not bring their own plants for sale or trade.
The Show Table will be back - so please don’t forget your flowering plants. We’ll see you there!
Map to the JCC